Download e-book for iPad: BRS Cell Biology and Histology (Board Review Series) by Leslie P. Gartner, James L. Hiatt, Judy M. Strum
By Leslie P. Gartner, James L. Hiatt, Judy M. Strum
BRS cellphone Biology and Histology is an outline-format evaluate for USMLE and path checks, with considerable electron micrographs and conceptual line drawings, high-yield scientific concerns bins, evaluation questions on the finish of every bankruptcy, and a finished USMLE-format exam on the finish of the ebook. This 6th variation positive aspects 60 new full-color photomicrographs and a brand new full-color layout with colorized line drawings. content material and questions were up-to-date, new scientific concerns were further, and scientific concerns were higher built-in into the content.
A spouse web site will supply the totally searchable textual content and an interactive query bank.
Read or Download BRS Cell Biology and Histology (Board Review Series) PDF
Best biology books
If it weren't for mitochondria, scientists argue, we'd all nonetheless be single-celled micro organism. certainly, those tiny constructions within our cells are very important past imagining. with no mitochondria, we'd don't have any mobilephone suicide, no sculpting of embryonic form, no sexes, no menopause, no aging.
In this attention-grabbing and thought-provoking publication, Nick Lane brings jointly the most recent examine during this intriguing box to teach how our turning out to be perception into mitochondria has make clear how complicated lifestyles developed, why intercourse arose (why don't we simply bud? ), and why we age and die. those findings are of primary value, either in figuring out existence on the earth, but additionally in controlling our personal health problems, and delaying our degeneration and dying. Readers examine that billion years in the past, mitochondria have been most likely micro organism residing self sufficient lives and that their catch inside of higher cells was once a turning aspect within the evolution of lifestyles, allowing the improvement of advanced organisms. Lane describes how mitochondria have their very own DNA and that its genes mutate a lot swifter than these within the nucleus. This excessive mutation expense lies in the back of our getting older and likely congenital illnesses. the most recent study means that mitochondria play a key position in degenerative ailments comparable to melanoma. We additionally observe that mitochondrial DNA is handed down nearly solely through the feminine line. That's why it's been utilized by a few researchers to track human ancestry daughter-to-mother, to "Mitochondrial Eve," giving us important information regarding our evolutionary history.
Written by way of Nick Lane, a emerging famous person in well known technology, energy, intercourse, Suicide is the 1st publication for normal readers at the nature and serve as of those tiny, but attention-grabbing buildings.
Using nucleic acid or gene probes as cloning or diagnostic instruments has promoted major advances in human genome mapping and within the isolation and manipulation of genes typically. In Gene Probes, Marilena Aquino de Muro and Ralph Rapley have introduced jointly an exceptional number of time-tested protocols for designing and utilizing gene probes in a large choice of functions.
This quantity addresses a primary puzzle in biology and medication, specifically, how does tissue increase, fix and substitute itself. the reply looks to lie in progress components and their law. To thrive and live to tell the tale we'd like progress elements and this publication concentrates on elements which are regarding development hormone.
This quantity represents the complaints ofthe invited lectures ofthe first foreign Symposium on "Serotonin from mobilephone Biology to Pharmacology and Therapeutics" which used to be held in Florence on March 29 -Aprill, 1989. This assembly, held lower than the co-sponsorship of the Serotonin membership and the Fondazione Giovanni Lorenzini, represents the 1st try and compile scientists occupied with the complexity of the motion of 5-hydroxytryptamine in the course of the physique and in numerous species.
- Cytochrome Systems: Molecular Biology and Bioenergetics
- International Review of Neurobiology, Vol. 33
- Current Topics in Developmental Biology, Vol. 33
- Membrane Transporters in Drug Discovery and Development: Methods and Protocols
Additional info for BRS Cell Biology and Histology (Board Review Series)
10. C. Heterochromatin is the dark-staining nucleoprotein near the periphery of the nucleus. It is transcriptionally inactive but may be responsible for proper chromosome segregation during meiosis (see Chapter 2 V A). qxd 05/31/2010 10:30 AM Page 32 Aptara chapter 3 Cytoplasm and Organelles I. OVERVIEW—THE CYTOPLASM The cytoplasm contains three main structural components: organelles, inclusions, and the cytoskeleton. The fluid component is called the cytosol. The functional interactions among certain organelles result in the uptake and release of material by the cell, protein synthesis, and intracellular digestion.
3. mRNA is synthesized in the following series of steps. a. RNA polymerase II recognizes a promoter on a single strand of the DNA molecule and binds tightly to it. b. The DNA helix unwinds about two turns, separating the DNA strands and exposing the codons that act as the template for synthesis of the complementary RNA molecule. c. RNA polymerase II moves along the DNA strand and promotes base pairing between DNA and complementary RNA nucleotides. d. When RNA polymerase II recognizes a chain terminator (stop codons—UAA, UAG, or UGA) on the DNA molecule, it terminates its association with the DNA and is released to repeat transcription.
3. C. Each tRNA possesses a triplet of nucleotides, called an anticodon, which recognizes the complementary codon in mRNA (see Chapter 2 VIII B). 4. B. The S (synthesis) phase of the cell cycle is the period during which DNA replication and histone synthesis occur, resulting in duplication of the chromosomes. At the end of the S phase, each chromosome consists of two identical chromatids attached to one another at the centromere (see Chapter 2 IX B). 5. D. Klinefelter syndrome occurs only in men.
BRS Cell Biology and Histology (Board Review Series) by Leslie P. Gartner, James L. Hiatt, Judy M. Strum